Masks Required: Vigo County Public Library requires all customers to wear masks inside our buildings.
Chat with a Librarian
Nurture your child’s love of reading, invigorate their imagination, and introduce numbers, letters, and other concepts in a fun and engaging way!
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is a self-paced early literacy challenge that encourages parents and caregivers to share books with their infants and toddlers. Track the number of books you and your child read to earn stickers or prizes for each milestone you reach. Complete the challenge to receive a new backpack, perfect for your child’s first day of school.
To participate in 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten:
- Register in person at your Library or sign up online.
- Record the number of books you read with your child online or on a Reading Log.
- Read books from your Library or your home—and read them as many times as you want! If you read the same book five times, that counts as five books.
- Visit the Library every time you read 100 books to receive a sticker.
- Mark milestones with prizes!
- For the first 100 books, visit the Library to select a prize from the treasure chest.
- After reading 500 books, you'll receive a brand new book.
- Complete the challenge by reading 1000 books and you'll earn a new backpack.
Teachers at child care centers and preschool programs can also join, track reading, and receive prizes for their classroom.
Do you need new books to read with your child? Ask your Personal Librarian to select them for you, then pick them up curbside or have them delivered to your doorstep!