Limited access to Special Collections: Due to construction, limited access is available to Community Archives during the month of September. Please contact Special Collections at 812.232.1119 before visiting to check availability of materials.
American Can Company
With the beginning of the Great Depression that swept the nation, only one industrial building was constructed in Terre Haute---the American Can Co. plant on the west bank of the river just south of the Penn railroad bridge in 1930.
Anaconda Park was established by the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department in 1979. It is located on .5 acres of land at N. 14th St. and Elizabeth streets. The Anaconda Aluminum Company contributed the land and playground equipment to the city.
Attack on Fort Harrison
September 4, 1812, Fort Harrison, occupied by a small garrison of less than 50 men commanded by Captain Zachary Taylor, was attacked by a small band of Indians, who under the guise of friendship, were permitted to camp outside the fort. Around midnight the Indians set fire to the fort and tried to storm in but under the gallant defense by the garrison under Captain Zachary Taylor's leadership, the fire was extinguished and the attackers driven off. The battle played an important part in subduing the Indians in the area.
Bids for Building Court House
March 31, 1818 -- Notice was given by the County commissioners that they would accept bids for the building of a Court House of brick and 55 square feet.
Boy Scout Park
Boy Scout Park was located on .3 acre of land at Lafayette and Barbour avenues in 1914. Members of the Boy Scouts of America planted the trees in honor of President Theodore Roosevelt. It is maintained by the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department.
Brittlebank Park was established in 1975 with funds from a bequest from Julius Brittlebank. It is located on seven acres of land at North 20th and Grant streets. It is a resource of the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department.
Bundles for Britain
Volunteers at Mrs. Dale's home, January 1941
Calvary Cemetery, located on the south side of U. S. 40 at 4427 E. Wabash Ave., was opened in 1912. The land was a gift to the Catholic community from Herman Hulman, Sr.
September 5, 1861 -- Camp Vigo located north of the city (on new route U.S. 41) was organized by the Thirty-First Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry under Colonel Charles Cruft to fight on Union side in the Civil War.
City of Terre Haute
Terre Haute was incorporated as a town in 1832 by the Indiana General Assembly. The first Mayor was Elijah Tillotson, elected 1838.
City of Terre Haute
The town of Terre Haute, reorganized as the City of Terre Haute. On May 30, 1853. William K. Edwards was elected mayor of the city.
Collett Park, located on 21 acres of land at North Seventh St. and Maple Avenue, is the oldest park in Terre Haute. It is named for Josephus Collett who gave the land to the city for use as a park in 1883. The land was once a part of the C. Barbour farm. The Collett Pavilion is the city's oldest park structure; the gazebo was added in 1998. Collett Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. It is a resource of the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department, the sponsor of Old Fashioned Days at the park each fall.
Courthouse Fighter Jet
The F84F jet fighter plane, located on the southeast portion of the Vigo County Courthouse lawn, was presented to the city and county on Nov. 11, 1959. Major George Meyers, on behalf of the Air Force and all veterans organizations, made the presentation. The plane added "a touch of modern military equipment to the Civil War cannons and monument already in place on the lawn."
The eight-acre Coy Park, a resource of the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department, is located at N. Sixteenth St. and Barbour Ave. It is named for Kenneth Coy who served as president of the Terre Haute Park board
Curtis Gilbert Park
Curtis Gilbert Park, located on the site of his home, became a part of the Terre Haute Park Department in 1919. It was known as City Park in the early 1900s and later as Steeg Park. The four-acre site was the gift of the Beach and Gilbert families.
The 177-acre Deming Park, located at Fruitridge Avenue and Ohio Blvd., was established in 1921. The land was purchased from the Deming Land Company. The Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department opened the Frisbee Disc Course at the park in 1983 and constructed Torner Center on the grounds in 1984.
Disasters and Political Scandals
March 1913 -- A year of disasters and political scandals. On Easter Sunday in March, a tornado swept up the Wabash Valley took off from the river near the site of the present sewage disposal plant, hit the Ijams Warren Park area, swept on into the city at Third and Margaret Avenue angling northwest across the city and lifting in the area of Twenty-Fifth and Crawford streets, leaving more than a score of dead, three times this many more injured and damage to both industrial plants and residences of hundreds of thousands of dollars. In the same month, the Wabash River set its record high mark of floods, completely covering West Terre Haute, Central Terre Haute (Taylorville) and sweeping into the north edge of Terre Haute. In the area south of Maple Avenue and north of Eight Avenue and from Third street to the high ground at Seventh street scores of homes were floating around. Terre Haute was isolated for several days from all travel by rail in any direction out of the city. Portions of the rails were washed away and bridges over the Wabash were to weak to permit train travel. On the political front in 1913, scandals enveloped the administration of Mayor Donn Roberts, Democrat. When the federal court trials were finished, an entire railroad passenger car full of city and county officials, including Mayor Roberts were sent to Leavenworth, Kansas Federal prison for election law violations and other charges.
March 20, 1963 -- One of the most disastrous fires ever to sweep the business district of Terre Haute, burned out nearly half of the businesses on the north side of Wabash at Sixth street extending east to the Meis Store.
Dresser / Paul Cox Field
The Dresser Field property at South Seventh St. and Davis Ave. (now the site of Terre Haute South Vigo High School) was acquired for a public airfield in 1929. Paul S. Cox and members of Fort Harrison Post No. 40, American Legion, and the Terre Haute Airport (Aero) Club were among those who led the effort to establish an air field in Terre Haute. It became a Municipal Airport in 1930. Cox was killed in an air crash in 1932. The field was rededicated as Paul Cox Field in 1933 in his memory. After Hulman Field opened in 1944, the Paul Cox Field served as a private airfield until 1959.
The plat for Edgewood Grove, Terre Haute's first 20th-century suburban subdivision, was submitted to the board of public works in March, 1911. The land had been known as Deer Park and McKeen Edgewood Stock Farm. Located on the south side of Wabash Avenue and east of Brown Avenue, lots first were advertised for sale in April, 1911.
Edwards Rural Route No. 1
Edwards Rural Route No.1, now North Terre Haute, was established September 15, 1900.
Electric lighting service for streets and private customers was instituted in 1887.
Eugene V. Debs
November 8, 1855 -- Eugene V. Debs born on Fourth st. just north of Chestnut, site of ISU's Arena. Debs is one of the greatest men ever born and reared in Terre Haute and history today is according him more and more recognition as man of far-seeing judgment. He is without question one of the great labor leaders of all-time. He ran five times for the presidency of the United States on the Socialist ticket, 1900, 1904, 1908, 1912 and 1920 --- the 1st time while he was serving a sentence in Atlanta Prison. He was convicted of espionage in connection with his historic speech made at Canton, Ohio on Sunday, June 16, 1918 against the participation of the United States in World War I. He received a million votes in the 1920 election and the man who defeated him, Warren G. Harding, released him from prison on Christmas Day, 1921. The last four years of his life he devoted to reform of prisons and died October 20, 1926. He and his wife are buried in Highland Lawn cemetery. In 1890 the home of Eugene V. Debs, 451 N. 8th street was built and occupied by Mr. And Mrs. Debs. It is now an official historic site of the State of Indiana and also a Notional Registered Landmark of the National Parks System of the Interior Department of the United States.
Ferry Across the Wabash
August 11, 1818 -- The County Commissioners grant Salmon Lusk and John Durkee a license to establish a ferry across the Wabash from the west to the east just north of Eagle street at Terre Haute.
First Airline Stewardess
Ellen Church (1904-1965) was a nurse and former hospital administrator of Terre Haute's Union Hospital during the 1950s-60s. Her national claim to fame is that she was the world's first airline stewardess, making her maiden flight with Boeing Air Transport (now United Airlines) on May 15, 1930. Church revolutionized commercial air travel by convincing Boeing that nurses could care for passengers better than the mail pilots who flew the commercial planes.
First stewardesses in photograph, from uper left, Ellen Church and Alva Johnson; lower left, Margaret Arnott, Inez Keller, Cornelia Peterman, Harriet Fry, Jessie Carter, and Ellis Crawford
The first automobile appeared on the streets of Terre Haute in 1900. It also was the first "horseless carriage" to be purchased by a resident of the city. The owner was Mr. McConnell of the McConnell Segar Co. Steam was the motive power; naptha was the fuel.
First Banks of the Wabash Festival
May 1974 -- First Banks of The Wabash Festival held in Terre Haute May 31 through June 9, 1974. More than 4,000 volunteer persons participated in this historic event.
First Catholic Church
The First Catholic church built of the corner of Fifth and Walnut streets and was named St. Joseph, in 1837. The present structure is located on the same site.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
The First Church of Christ, Scientist was founded in 1898 by Elizabeth Wright, Sarah L. Wright, Emma Reichert, Mr. & Mrs. T.W. Barhydt, Mr. & Mrs. J.O. Dougherty, Mr. & Mrs. Waginals, and James Dishon. The Christian Science Society, as the church was known in 1898, met at the home of Miss Wright until 1902 when meetings were moved to the back room over Paige's Music Store. Various other locations were used until the basement of the church was completed in 1921. In November 1981 the church was destroyed by fire and services were moved to the United Ministries Center until the new church was completed in April 1983.
A Christian Science Reading Room was opened for the use of the public in 1900 and is still in operation today. Semi-annual or annual free public lectures were begun in 1902.
First Circuit Court Opens
April [the fourth Monday], 1818 -- The first Circuit Court opens in Vigo County; held at the house of Truman Blackman, before Moses Hoggatt and James Barnes, Associate Judges.
First County Jail
November 10, 1818 -- The first County Jail was built on the south alley corner of Swan Street, between First and Second streets.
First Drainage System
John Jackson was named the first commissioner to establish a drainage system in 1827, to reduce stagnant backwaters of creeks and river.
First Indiana Woman Elected to Congress
Virginia Jenckes (1877 -1975) is noted as the first woman from Indiana to serve in the United States Congress. A native of Terre Haute, she began her political career at the age of 55 when she was elected to the House of Representatives in 1932. Jenckes decided to run as the Democratic candidate when rural issues became a primary concern to her. During the Depression, she supported the repeal of Prohibition and federally-funded flood control, both of which she felt would help farmers economically. Jenckes served in the 73rd, 74th, and 75th Congresses before being defeated for re-election in 1938.
First Interurban (Electric Railway) Service
The First Interurban (electric railway) service began out of Terre Haute by the Terre Haute and Eastern Traction Company in 1902. Lines went to Indianapolis, Sullivan, Clinton and Paris, Illinois, with "stops" every quarter of a mile or less. This was a convent mode of travel and it flourished until 1924 when the competition from automobiles saw a rapid decline in Interurbans.
First Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken
The Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken franchise first was put into operation in Terre Haute at the Eat-A-Teria, 2525 Wabash Avenue. The deal was closed with a handshake between Col. Harland Sanders and Eugene Knauer, Eat-A-Teria owner, in 1958.
First Marriage License
April 4, 1818 -- The first marriage license was issued in Vigo County; to William Foster and Elizabeth Wilson.
First Mayor of Terre Haute
Elijah Tillotson was elected the first mayor of Terre Haute in 1838.
First Municipal Airport
May -- First Municipal Airport, Paul Cox Field at South Seventh street and Davis avenue was opened for use in 1917.
First One-Room School House
First log one-room school house built in Terre Haute. C. B. Canfield was the teacher, 1819.
October 26, 1818 -- The first postoffice established in Terre Haute on what is now the present site occupied now by the Vigo County Jail. Previously the postoffice was at Fort Harrison.
First Sale of Lots in Terre Haute
October 21, 1816 -- The first sale of lots took place in Terre Haute, the lowest lots selling for $60.00; the highest being the lot on the corner of Water and Walnut Street.
First Sewage Disposal Plant
City's first sewage disposal plant was put in operation on State Road 63 south of the city along the riverbank in 1963.
First Steamboat Docked at Terre Haute
May 7, 1823 -- The first steamboat docked at Terre Haute. It was viewed with wonder and amazement but the subsequent visits of steamers to Terre Haute would give the growing town a foundation for trade and industry. In this year also the Register and Advertiser was mention as the first newspaper in the city.
First Street Railway
The first street railway organized, put in operation in 1867.
First Telegraph Line
The first telegraph line was established in Terre Haute in 1859.
First telephone installed at Terre Haute in an office at Sixth and Wabash Avenue in 1881. The Citizens Telephone Company, a forerunner of the local General Telephone Company was organized.
First Television Station
July 22, 1954 -- First Television station opened in Terre Haute, Channel 10, with studios in the old Stahl-Urban Overall Factory at 9 1/2 street and Ohio.
First Treasurer for Vigo County
March 11, 1819 -- Andrew Brooks was appointed the first Treasurer for Vigo County and the rates of taxes were fixed as follows: 1st rate land -- every 100 acres 50 cents; 2nd rate land -- every 100 acres 43 1/2 cents.
First Wagon Bridge Across the Wabash River
December 25, 1846 -- First wagon bridge across Wabash river from foot of Ohio street, was opened to traffic.
First Water Works
The city's first water works, the forerunner of the present Water company, was organized in 1871.
First White Male Child Born
May 23, 1818 -- The first white male child born in Terre Haute was William Hodges. He died in York, Illinois January 26, 1908.
Fort Harrison Constructed
October 5, 1811, General William Henry Harrison selected the site for Fort Harrison on the east bank of the Wabash River north of the small Indian village Tare Holt (Terre Haute), Site of Fort Harrison, now occupied by the Terre Haute Elk's Lodge No. 86. Fort Harrison was first commanded by General Harrison and later by Captain Zachary Taylor, both of whom later became presidents of the United States. Construction of Fort Harrison began and was completed later in the month. It was built entirely of logs from trees felled on the site. Some of these logs can now be seen as columns in the Taylor Room of the Elks Lodge.
Franklin D. Roosevelt at Big Four Train Depot
Terre Haute, September, 1932.
Friends of the Vigo County Public Library
The Friends of the Library was organized as a not-for-profit group in 1984 to promote the VCPL as a cultural, educational and recreational asset to the community. The Friends raise money to support the Library in the areas of special events, publicity, programming, furniture and equipment and for any other special needs that arise. Their major fundraisers include an annual book sale and holiday book nook and weekly book cart sales. The Friends group is governed by a 15-member board of individuals from the community.
In 1935, a labor dispute between Columbian Enameling and Stamping Company and Federal Labor Union #19694 made national headlines. As tensions increased on both sides, the union, protesting the importation of out-of-town "strike breakers," called for a labor holiday. A general strike closed down business and transportation in the city of Terre Haute on July 22, 1935. National guardsmen moved into the county, as Governor Paul V. McNutt, acting on a request from the mayor, ordered martial law. Tear gas was used to disperse the pickets. The two-day general strike was called off, but the strike at the mill continued and martial law was in effect for six months. This was the third general strike in the history of the United States.
Great Hardship and Sickness
This year, 1821, was a time of great hardship and sickness with many of the early settlers and pioneer leaders dying.
Great Industrial Corn and Coal Show
The Great Industrial Corn and Coal Show took place in Terre Haute the week of Oct. 28 to Nov. 2, 1912. Sponsored by the Booster Club to promote the area's rich natural resources, it included contests, races, concerts, a 40-foot-high coal monument on Ohio Street and a 60-foot-high ear of corn on Cherry Street.
The world famous four-cornered race track for harness racing was opened at the Fairgrounds, the site of which is now occupied by ISU Stadium at Brown and Wabash in 1886. Nancy Hanks and Axtell established world records which stood for many years.
The First health department of the city was organized by Dr. L. J. Williams, with offices at Second and Mulberry streets in 1882.
Henry Clay Visits the City
October 28, 1831 -- The growing importance of Terre Haute was emphasized when one of the leading politicians of the country, Henry Clay, was feted on a visit to the city.
Highland Lawn Cemetery
The 138-acre site of Highland Lawn Cemetery was purchased on March 13, 1884, from Ray G. and Grace Jenckes at a cost of $15,000. It is located on the North side of U. S. 40 at 4520 Wabash Avenue and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The Chapel, designed by architect Jesse Vrydaugh in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, was constructed in 1893 and renovated in 1987-88.
The Bedford limestone bell tower, built in Romanesque Revival style, was built in 1894 and renovated in 1990. The 1909 interurban waiting station now serves as the cemetery office.
Highland Lawn and Woodlawn are municipal cemeteries operated under the board of cemetery regents, an authority proposed by Terre Haute Mayor Vern McMillan in 1943.
Historical Museum of the Wabash Valley
May 11, 1958 -- Historical Museum of the Wabash Valley was opened up in the old Nagel Home at Sixth street and Washington Avenue, its present location.
Home of Paul Dresser
June 5, 1963 -- Birthplace home of Paul Dresser, moved to its present location in Fairbanks Park along the Wabash River. It is open to the general public and is a registered national landmark.
Hulman and Company Buildings
September 28, 1893 -- The complex of buildings at Ninth and Wabash Avenue known as Hulman and Company was completed and occupied by the wholesale grocery and the city in tribute to this accomplishment held a testimonial dinner for Herman Hulman at which Eugene V. Debs was the principal speaker. Debs as a young man had worked for Mr. Hulman for five years before turning to the organization of rail unions.
December 1973 -- Hulman Center, a fine new auditorium seating 10,000 persons opened. It is a joint venture of Indiana State University and the citizens of Terre Haute and other communities in the Wabash Valley. All of ISU's basketball games will be played here but it will also serve the needs of the community for conventions, for theatricals, circuses, ice shows and musicals.
Hulman Field Airport
Hulman Field, located on State Road 42 east of Terre Haute, was dedicated on October 3, 1944. The 640 acres of ground had been approved for an airport the year before and was purchased through a $100,000 gift to the city from Anton Hulman, Jr.
TWA air service was inaugurated on July 1, 1945. Offices and facilities were moved to the new field from Paul Cox Field in 1946. A terminal building, replacing the original Quonset huts, was dedicated in 1953 and expanded in 1983.
In 1954 the Indiana Air National Guard established a base at Hulman Field. Indiana's only FAA Automated Flight Service Station opened in 1985, and Ivy Tech State College opened its Indiana Center for Aviation Technology in 1992 at what was then known as Hulman Regional Airport.
The name was changed to Terre Haute International Airport--Hulman Field in 1998.
Hyte Community Center
Hyte Community Center was opened at Thirteenth and College streets in 1972. This social service center marked a large step in the community's appreciation of its black population as funds were raised in part by public subscription from both white and black residents and businessmen. A federal grant of matching funds made its construction possible.
May 7, 1800, by an act of Congress, approved this day; a separate Territory is set out from the Northwest Territory, called INDIANA TERRITORY.
February 3, 1809, by an act of Congress, approved this day; a separate Territory, called Illinois Territory, is set out of INDIANA TERRITORY.
Women nurses and other volunteers worked with the sick at emergency hospitals during the flu epidemic of 1918. In Terre Haute the epidemic was so bad that all public churches, schools and theaters were closed from October 1918 until the spring of 1919.
Irishman's Covered Bridge
Irishman's Covered Bridge built over Honey Creek south of the city on road to Lockport (now known as Riley), in 1845. This structure, the county's only surviving covered bridge, under efforts put forth by the Vigo County Historical Society in cooperation with the Vigo County commissioners has been moved to Fowler park, to preserve it.
John G. Dobbs Memorial Park
The John G. Dobbs Memorial Park at Highways 46 and 42 was established in 1944. The 105-acre site was a gift to the City of Terre Haute from Effie Frances Dobbs and Mary Hollis Call in memory of Miss Dobbs' father. The Nature Center was added in 1976; the Native American Museum opened in 1994. The park is a resource of the Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Department.
Johnson Brothers Monoplane
August 8, 1911 A monoplane designed and constructed by Louis, Harry and Julius Johnson at 717 N. 10th St. was flown successfully by Louis at a field on the Elroy Smith farm near Ellsworth (North Terre Haute). The model of this monoplane, which is known as the first successful American monoplane, was placed in the Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D. C. in 1960. The four brothers (Louis, Harry, Julius and Clarence) achieved later success in their Johnson Outboard Motors Corp. located in Waukegan, Ill.
September 16, 1872 -- Max Ehrmann, Terre Haute's noted poet, born. Ehrmann's fame continues to grow today. His famous Prayer was published in 1903. His Desiderata (1927) has been set to music. He wrote more than 20 books and booklets. And after his death in 1945 his widow, Bertha King Ehrmann published The Journal of Max Ehrmann in 1952. He died in 1945.
Mayor Ralph Tucker
January 1, 1948 -- Ralph Tucker inaugurated mayor of Terre Haute. It was the beginning of a regime that lasted for five terms, unprecedented in the history of the city, no other mayor having served more than eight years.
Memorial Stadium was completed in 1924 and dedicated in honor of World War I service personnel from Vigo County on May 25, 1925. Located at Wabash and Brown avenues, the stadium stands on the former site of the Vigo County Agricultural Society Fairgrounds noted for having a four-corner, one-mile horse race track on the grounds.
Memorial Stadium served as the home field for the Terre Haute Phillies baseball team through 1956 and as a place for local high school and college games to be played. It became a facility of Indiana State University in 1966 under a 99-year lease with the city and county.
National Bank of Terre Haute
The National Bank of Terre Haute organized with Preston Hussey being named president in 1865.
The National Highway (now U.S. 40) was constructed as far as Terre Haute from Washington, D.C, in 1838. Later it was pushed on to St. Louis, Missouri.
Naylor Opera House
Terre Haute's first Opera House, the Naylor Opera House was opened in 1870.
Negro Population in Terre Haute
There were 11 Negroes living in Terre Haute, in 1820. The first to arrive here was Henry Harris, a slave who had been set free by his Quaker master Benjamin Harris in 1809, at Richmond Virginia. He eventually made his way to Terre Haute, the exact time of which is undetermined. In 1850, the Negro population was 227; in 1940, 4,000; in 1960, 4105 and in 1970 4,737.
Paul Dresser Born
April 23, 1857 -- Paul Dresser, composer of "On the Banks of the Wabash," the official state song of Indiana and brother of Theodore Dresser world famous novelist, was born. After a notable career in the theater, he died January 30, 1906. He is buried in Chicago.
Paul Dresser Park
The six-acre Paul Dresser Park was located on U.S. 40 west of the Wabash River bridge in 1940. It was a gift to the City of Terre Haute from the Paul Dresser Memorial Association organized in 1922.
Part of the land was used for the approach of the twin Wabash River bridges completed in 1992. The Terre Haute Parks and Recreation Board agreed to sell the remaining land in 1989.
Peter J. Ryan
September 19, 1864 -- Peter J. Ryan (founder of the P. J. Ryan Funeral Home) was awarded the Congressional medal of honor for bravery in the Civil War in the battle of Winchester.
Plat of Terre Haute
October 25, 1816 -- The official plat for Terre Haute was filed and recorded at Vincennes. the original town contained land now bounded on the north by Eagle street, bounded on the east by 5th street, bounded on the south by Swan street and bounded on the west by Water street.
Population of Terre Haute 1940p>The population of city set at 62,693 by the 1940 Census. In 1900 the population was 36,673; 1910, 58,684.
Population of Terre Haute 1950
Census sets population of city at 62,214 in the corporate limits and 13,814 outside the city.
Population of Terre Haute 1960
Population of Terre Haute set at 72,500 in 1960. The city limits during the decade have extended to take in all of Harrison township and are the present limits of the city.
Population of Terre Haute 1970
Population of city set at 69,530, a drop of 3,000 from the 1960 census. However it was noted that the population of Vigo county showed an increase off-setting the decline in the corporate city.
Pork Packing Business Started
Benjamin Gilman started the pork packing business in 1824, which was to be one of the principal enterprises in the city for over 100 years.
The Prairie House was built at Seventh on Wabash by Chauncey Rose, one of the town's leading citizens, in 1838. It was the forerunner of the present Terre Haute House.
Red Light District
Terre Haute's notorious Red Light district which at times had more than 900 girls and 400 madams (1916) closed by Mayor Vern McMillan for his entire administration and during the war years of World War II 1943. Later in the fifties and sixties it reopened on a minor scale with not more than 10 houses and fewer than 30 girls working at one time. Under the present administration of Mayor William C. Brighton there are no illegal houses of prostitution in operation.
Rose Southside Child Care Center Opened
March 1974 -- The Rose Southside Child Care Center opened in a new location at 1438 South Thirteenth street, providing working mothers care for their children. The history of the Negro in Terre Haute is a significant index to the total history of this area from its earliest period to now. Many Negro citizens contributed much talent to the community. They are all too often the unsung contributors to the cultural uplift of the community. Many doors have been opened for employment, service and advancement. Much more remains to be done.
Salvation Army bread line
Terre Haute during the Depression, September, 1930
Seat of Justice for Vigo County
March 21, 1818 -- The Commissioners, appointed for that purpose, select Terre Haute as the seat of Justice for Vigo County.
Seventh War Loan Drive Booth at the Terre Haute House
Sponsored by the Women's Division, Vigo County War Finance Committee, April, 1945
Sky King Airport
Sky King Airport, located in Otter Creek Township at 6898 Clinton St., was opened by Herman Brown in 1960. Kirby Grant, star of the "Sky King" television show, was present for the grand opening ceremonies in August, 1962. Brown's Flying School, Inc., in operation since 1951, is located at the airport.
Soldiers and Sailors Monument
May -- The Soldiers and Sailors Monument on the courthouse lawn at 3rd and Wabash was completed in 1910.
State Bank of Indiana
Branch Bank building of State Bank of Indiana was completed in 1834. It is Terre Haute's oldest business building and is now known as Memorial Hall, directly south of the Courthouse on Ohio St.
Terre Haute's tallest business building was constructed at 19-21 S. 6th St. by Citizens Trust Company.
Terminal Building at Hulman Field
November 29, 1953 -- The Terminal Building at Hulman Field Airport was dedicated.
Terre Haute, Indianapolis and Richmond Railroad
The Terre Haute, Indianapolis and Richmond railroad was completed in 1852, making it one of the oldest railroads in the state. It is now known as the Penn-Central.
Terre Haute Regional Hospital
St. Anthony's Hospital was founded in 1882 and under the Sisters of St. Francis served the Terre Haute community until 1975. At this time it was taken over by the Hospital Corporation of America and converted to Terre Haute Regional Hospital. Regional Hospital moved to its current (as of 1999) location in September 1979. Regional became a part of the Columbia/HCA Network in April 1995.
Regional Hospital is an acute care hospital with licensing as a 278-bed facility. Some services provided are the Women's Center, the Sleep Disorder Lab, Sports Medicine, Transitional Care Unit, and the Cancer Treatment Center in addition to services normally associated with a hospital such as medical/surgical, radiology, and emergency care.
Terre Haute Rural Route No. 2
September 15, 1900 brought the establishment of Terre Haute's second rural mail route. David M. Solomon was the first carrier on route No. 2 and on the first day of the route carried about 100 pieces of mail.
The Preston House
The Preston House, located at 13 1/2 st. and Poplar, now the oldest home in the city, was built by Major De Wese. Construction began in 1823 and completed in 1826.
August 15, 1893 -- Terre Haute's magnificent Union Depot was opened for rail passengers and patrons. It served the Vandalia railroad (east and west, now the Penn Central; the Chicago and Eastern Illinois (now the L & N); the Terre Haute and Southern Indiana ( now the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul) and branch lines to Peoria and to South Bend. It contained the division offices and had a fine dining room and was patronized by hundreds of persons daily.
Vigo County Courthouse
Ground was broken for the present courthouse of Vigo County in 1884.
Vigo County Formed
January 21, 1818 -- Vigo County, including what is now Parke county, was formed by an act of the Legislature at the first state capitol at Corydon, Indiana.
Vigo County Public Library
The Vigo County Public Library extended library service of the public library to the entire county in 1961.
Vigo County Rural Route Company No. 1
Terre Haute's first rural mail route, covering 23 miles, was established December 4, 1899. The route, serving 621 people, was carried by Wood McComb in his own horse and buggy. George McComb was the substitute.
Vigo County's Coal Industry
Vigo county's coal industry first got under way with river shipment of coal to New Orleans in 1833. The first coal was in outcroppings along creek and hillsides. Shaft mining was to come some years later.
The Wabash & Erie Canal from Toledo Ohio was completed as far as Terre Haute in 1848. It was completed to the Ohio River at Evansville in 1853 and for a short time was a financial success. But the heavy competition from the burgeoning railroad industry resulted in bankruptcy for the Canal company and the State of Indiana, resulting in a new constitution being written which banned issuance of bonds by the State of Indiana.
Wabash River Improvement Association
The Wabash River Improvement Association formed in an attempt to make the Wabash River navigable again in 1903. Railroads had put steamboat service out of business. Since then a number of associations have been formed for this same purpose.
War Bond Saleswomen
Terre Haute, June, 1943
West Terre Haute Rural Route No. 1
The first delivery for West Terre Haute Rural Route No. 1 occurred on September 15, 1900. The Macksville post office was officially changed to West Terre Haute previous to this delivery on September 22, 1899.
On August 26, 1920, the 19th Amendment to U.S. Constitution was ratified by three quarters of the state legislatures granting women full voting rights in the United States. This amendment fulfilled a campaign which formally started in 1848.
Former Terre Haute journalist and suffragist Ida Husted Harper (1851-1931) lived to see the woman suffrage amendment passed. Many of her friends and early suffragists, such as Suzan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, did not live to see the final fruits of their struggle.
Woodlawn Cemetery (formerly City Cemetery) was opened for burials on July 1, 1839. It is located at 1230 N. Third St. with boundaries at Eight Ave. (N), Third St. (E), First Ave. (S), and First St. (W).
Bodies were transferred from two earlier cemeteries-the Indian Orchard Burying Ground at the foot of Sycamore St. at the Wabash River and a graveyard which once was located at the southeast corner of Sixth and Ohio Streets.
Woodlawn's north section was designated as St. Joseph Cemetery for Catholic burials and a Hebrew Cemetery was located on the west side.
A tall stone Obelisk is located in the middle of a circular grass area in memory of 11 Confederate soldiers who died in a temporary prison in Terre Haute during the Civil War. In 1973 Mary Grover, assistant city cemetery superintendent, was commended by the U. S. Army National Cemetery Supervising Office for her upkeep of this Civil War Memorial.
World War I
Terre Haute women contributed to War Relief Work by selling Red Cross stamps, working at the Red Cross headquarters, and knitting articles for the war effort. This 1917-19 list of workers from the Terre Haute Chapter of the American Red Cross reveals that most of the committee chairs were women.