Ransom E. Hawley Letters


Letter from Ransom E. Hawley
to Miss Crawford

no date

Page 1 of 4

PDF Image


Miss Crawford
             Many thanks for
your kindness in securing
for me the loan of a book
I have been seeking=for
[20?] years.  I have sent a
review to Simpson Lockridge,
he called in Comrade Ashton
and they say my memory is
correct. Orville Earl of Brasil
and Benjamin Williams of Green
Castle only five of us surviving
out of the 100 members of Co A
78th Ind.  There were three
companies of our Regt’ in the fight.
Johnson says a whole Regt. Col
Will Farrow commanded us
and Toll Grooms was his Adjutant



Page 2 of 4

PDF Image

  Two companies were from
Park County. Captaign Tighlman
Howard (son of and namesake
of one of the most illustrious
and successful Democratic
Political Office holders) was
killed twenty of us were
wounded.  Johnson rarely
uses dates and does not
enumerate casulities. He
made us take the oath not
to take arms again against the
Confederates until [men?]
were paroled.  Instead of
sending in our names to
Jeff Davis’s Secy of War Randolph
Johnson carried the list
with him and it was
recovered after he was shot blind
                             and captured


Page 3 of 4

PDF Image


sometime late in July 1864 . He
had an opportunity to send
these parole papers to head
quarters in Richmond Va because
he sent his own muster roll
by one of his Captains S.P.
Cunningham to Richmond Va.
At that time Johnson was a
General and had 1700 men.
He had ordered a conscription
of all men in Ky.  He recoverd
was released from the Louisville
Jail returned to his beloved
State of Texas where he led an
industrious life. When a young
man he had training in
war in Texas.



Page 4 of 4

PDF Image


I volunteered to go on the skirm
line; that gave me a view
of Johnsons force.  A little squad
of cavalry on our right then in
front of us some 700 men and
boys on foot armed with shot
guns or anything they could pick
up.  He did not have enough cavalry men
to intercept our men who escaped
up the river and were picked up
next day by a steamboat.  Johnson
and his surgeon were the only
men who wore anything like
uniforms. The fight was on the
1st day of Sept 62.  Johnson left
that night because he knew
reinforcements were coming.
His men were sick he said
some of them probably had lead
poison from our Enfield rifles.



  *Note to researcher:  This letter has been transcribed by Archives staff verbatim
as the words appear on the original written page.  The spacing, punctuation, and
capitalization are identical.  Words that are unclear have been enclosed in brackets.