Inventory

Hook School Cornerstone Box
Dates:  1840-1878
Accession Number:  840821
Description:  Two document cases; 17 newspapers and 2 documents
                            in Map Case


Content and Scope of Collection

The cornerstone box contained two separate collections:  materials deposited June 26, 1857 in the original building and materials deposited in the new building August 17, 1878.  The school, first known as The City School, was located in the city's First Ward on the southwest corner of 4th  and Mulberry Streets.  The basement was used for a Town Hall for a number of years.  The High School started here in 1863 with six students.  In 1869 the High School was moved to the State Normal building.

The inventories describing the contents of both collections are contained in a notebook in Folder 1.

Document Case 1

 

 

 

 

Folder 1

Inventory notebook

1857,1878

 

 

 

Folder 2

Portrait of James Hook (original at time of 1857 dedication of building)

1857

 

 

 

Folder 3

Samples of money:

 

 

 

 

 

  One penny

1840

 

 

 

 

  One and two dollar bills fastened ogether from State of Indiana Bank  

1856

 

 

 

 

  Five dollar bill, Bank of the State of Indiana

1857

 

 

 

 

  One dollar bill, the Prairie City Bank

1857

 

 

 

 

  Bill form, Southern Bank of Indiana  (blank)

185-

 

 

 

Folder 4

Constitution & General Laws of the Grand Lodge of  Indiana, Independent Order of Odd Fellows

1856

 

 

 

 

Constitution, By-laws & Rules of Order of Miami Tribe, No. 1

1853

 

 

 

 

Ritual Booklets

1854

 

 

 

 

State Council booklets

1854

 

 

 

Folder 5

Photographs and/or statements:

1878

 

 

 

 

   

William H. Wiley, Superintendent of Schools

 

 

 

 

 

 

L. A. Burnett, Trustee

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thomas B. Snapp, contractor

 

 

 

 

 

 

Charles Eppinghousen, architect

 

 

 

 

 

State House of Indiana

1878

 

 

 

Folder 6

Photographs of Schools:

1878

 

 

 

 

 

 

Colored District

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

High School

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Training School

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mont Rose District

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

First District

 

 

 

 

 

 

Second District

 

 

 

 

 

 

Third District

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fourth District

 

 

 

 

 

Photographs of schools:

1878

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fifth District

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sixth District

 

 

 

     

 

 

 

New Seventh District

 

 

 

 

 

Folder 7

Slate writing and art work of students

1878

 

 

 

Folder 8

Slate work

1878

 

 

 

Folder 9

Slate work

1878

 

 

 

Folder 10

Business cards

1878

 

 

 

Folder 11

Constitution and Nehen-Gesetze der Goethe Lodge, No. 382

1871

 

 

 

 

Rules of Order, Terre Haute Lodge No. 2,  Ancient Order of United Workmen

1878

 

 

 

 

Masonic Calendar

1878

 

 

 

 

Rules of Order of Fort Harrison Lodge,  No. 157 Independent Order of Odd Fellows

1873

 

 

 

 

General Laws, Knights of Pythias

1877

 

 

 

 

13th Annual Fair, Vigo Agricultural Society   

1878

 

 

 

 

Constitution of Camp Morton, No. 7,  Independent Order of Foresters

1878

 

 

 

 

8th Annual Report, Ladies Aid Society

1877-1878

 

 

 

 

8th Annual Report, Indiana State Normal School

1877-1878

 

 

 

Document Case 2

 

 

 

 

Folder 1

R. W. Grand Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Indiana

1878

 

 

 

 

Ancient Order United Workmen, State of Indiana - Constitution

 

 

 

 

Folder 2

County Council--Minutes

Aug. 24, 1854

 

 

 

Folder 3

James Hook's note to posterity

June 26, 1857

 

 

 

Folder 4

Ritual papers of Masons and/or Council of Indiana

185-

 

 

 

Loose

Annual Reports, Public Schools of the City of Terre Haute:  Seventh through  Thirteenth

1870-1877

 

 

 

 

School Laws of Indiana

1877

 

 

 

 

Volume - City Directory

1878

 

 

 

 

Volume - The Charter, etc. of the City  of Terre Haute

1878

 

 

 

 

Wooden Case - James Hook photo

1878

Map Drawer  4

 

 

 

 

 

Engraving on parchment:  Fort  Harrison in 1812

1848

 

 

 

 

Issues of Terre Haute newspapers

1857 and 187