Inventory

Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25
Dates: 1915-1940, 1949-1981
Accession Number: 20011003A
Donor: Unknown
Description: 2 document cases

History

The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25 was founded on December 17, 1863 as the Brotherhood of the Footboard. At the beginning of the meeting minutes for the Nov. 2, 1864 session of the Brotherhood of the Footboard the phrase "Loco. Engineers" is written over the word "Footboard". At the next meeting, on November 10, 1864, the Brotherhood of the Footboard was renamed the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25. No explanation is provided for the name change. From that time until 1982, the union is referred to either as the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division #25 or as the B.L.E., No. 25.

(Note: the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers is a different organization from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, 754 and from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen.)

Like many unions, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25 was concerned with collecting dues for its ongoing financial survival, taking disciplinary actions against members, revoking membership when necessary. The union also reported to the national Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and represented its members when issues needed to be addressed with the local railroads.

The Brotherhood met at biweekly and monthly intervals, renting space in several Terre Haute meeting halls over the years: 

Years

Hall

 

 

1863-1907

Engineers Hall, Knights of Pythias Temple
(121-125 S. 8th St.)

1907-1910

Maccabees Hall (referred to in the minutes as Swope)
(25 S. 7th Street)

1910-1924

Engineers Hall, Knights of Pythias Temple

1924-1932

Red Man's Hall (402 Wabash Avenue)
 

1932-1938

Engineers Hall, Knights of Pythias Temple

1938-1964

Red Man's Hall

1964-1981

Memorial Hall (219 Ohio Street)


Content and Scope of Collection

This collection consists of minute books from 1915 to 1940 and from 1949 to 1981. For related material see the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25 (Accession No. 20011002).

Document Case 1

 

 

 

 

Folder 1

Division Minute Book

April 11, 1915-
Dec. 9, 1923

 

 

 

Folder 2

Division Minute Book

Dec. 23, 1923
Dec. 28, 1931

 

 

 

Folder 3

Division Minute Book

Jan. 10, 1932
Jan. 8, 1940

 

 

 

Folder 4

Division Minute Book

July11, 1949
Jan. 12, 1953

 

 

 

Folder 5

Division Minute Book

Feb. 9, 1953
May 13, 1957

 

 

 

Folder 6

Division Minute Book

June 10, 1957
June 21, 1961
 

     
     
Document Case 2  
     
Folder 1 Division Minute Book June 21, 1961
Aug. 14, 1967
     
Folder 2 Division Minute Book Sep. 11, 1967
Jan. 11, 1981
     
Map Drawer 3 Railroad timetable April 3, 1947