Inventory

Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25
Dates: 1863-1957
Accession Number: 20011002
Donor: Stanley M. Poleski through the Eugene V. Debs Museum
Description: 2 document cases, OV107, OV108

Donor Information

These records were donated to the Archives by the Eugene V. Debs Museum at 451 N. 8th Street in Terre Haute, IN. The material was originally donated to the Debs Museum by Stanley M. Poleski, a former member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25.

History

The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25 was founded on December 17, 1863 as the Brotherhood of the Footboard. At the beginning of the meeting minutes for the Nov. 2, 1864 session of the Brotherhood of the Footboard the phrase "Loco. Engineers" is written over the word "Footboard". At the next meeting, on November 10, 1864, the Brotherhood of the Footboard was renamed the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25. No explanation is provided for the name change. From that time until 1982, the union is referred to either as the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division #25 or as the B.L.E., No. 25.

(Note: the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers is a different organization from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, 754 and from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen.)

Like many unions, the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25 was concerned with collecting dues for its ongoing financial survival, taking disciplinary actions against members, revoking membership when necessary. The union also reported to the national Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and represented its members when issues needed to be addressed with the local railroads.

The Brotherhood met at biweekly and monthly intervals, renting space in several Terre Haute meeting halls over the years:

Years

Hall

 

 

1863-1907

Engineers Hall, Knights of Pythias Temple
(121-125 S. 8th St.)

1907-1910

Maccabees Hall (referred to in the minutes as Swope)
(25 S. 7th Street)

1910-1924

Engineers Hall, Knights of Pythias Temple

1924-1932

Red Man's Hall (402 Wabash Avenue)

1932-1938

Engineers Hall, Knights of Pythias Temple

1938-1964

Red Man's Hall

1964-1981

Memorial Hall (219 Ohio Street)

Content and Scope of Collection

The collection consists of minute books, various account books, and membership lists from 1863 to 1957. For related material, see the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 25 (Accession #20011003A). 

Document Case 1

 

 

 

 

Folder 1

[Membership] Register Book

Dec. 17, 1863-
March 1, 1957

 

 

 

Folder 2

Minutes

Dec. 17, 1863
June 26, 1868

 

 

 

Folder 3

Minutes

June 26, 1868-
Nov. 25, 1877

 

 

 

Folder 4

Minutes

Sep. 24, 1881
Aug. 25, 1885

 

 

 

Folder 5

Minutes

Sep. 7, 1885
May 22, 1893

 

 

 

Folder 6

Minutes

June 11, 1893
March 12, 1899

 

 

 

Folder 7

Minutes

April 9, 1899
March 20, 1904

 

 

 

Folder 8

Minutes

April 10, 1904
Nov. 24, 1907

     
     
Document Case 2  
     
Folder 1 Division Minute Book Jan. 22, 1940
Nov. 11, 1946
     
Folder 2 Division Minute Book Nov. 25, 1946
June 27, 1949
     
Folder 3 Grand and Subordinate Dues Accounts 1886-1896
     
Folder 4 Grand and Subordinate Dues Accounts 1898-1899
     
Folder 5 Grand and Local Dues 1901-1905
     
Folder 6 Dues Receipt Book (Grand and Local) 19061908
     
Folder 7 Roll Call of Engineers 1887-1904
     
Folder 8 Receipts and Disbursements of Terre Haute Division No. 25 Aug. 8, 1887
March 31, 1899
     
Folder 9 Receipts and Disbursements of Terre Haute Division No. 25 April 1, 1899
Jan. 30, 1908
     
Folder 10 Cash Book Jan. 19, 1907
Sep. 8, 1910
     
     
Oversized Volumes  
     
OV107 Minutes, accounts, audit reports (combined in one volume) 1907-1915 inclusive
     
OV108 Membership rolls (includes names, addresses, and workplace) 1903-1926