Inventory
 

Parks of Terre Haute: Blueprints and Maps
Dates: 1917-1962
Accession Number: Map 2
Donor: Gary Richards
Description: Rolled sheets
 

Content and Scope of Collection

This collections consists of 62 blueprints and maps of various aspects of Terre Haute parks. They are numbered chronologically (see attached) from 1 to 40 with undated items appearing at the end of the sequence. The discrepancy in numbers is accounted for by those blueprints which are natural sets of 2 or more and thereby merit but one number.

This collection is unique in the insight it gives into the planning stages of improve-ments to the Terre Haute park system. Many of the blueprints detail structures and landscapes no longer in existence; others are of schemes never fully realized. Of special note are eight plans drawn by George E. Kessler, a nationally renowned landscape architect.

City of Terre Haute and Vigo County  
     
23 City of Terre Haute Corporate Limits

Source: Paul D. Meadows,
City Civil Engineer

(Shows some parks, and notations
of general and special ordinances)
Dec. 31, 1951
     
25 Road Map of Vigo County

Source: Paul D. Meadows,
Vigo County Surveyor

(Indicates population; some parks and
other points of interest; road conditions;
and school locations)
Jan. 1957
     
28

Terre Haute Parks

Source: Area Planning Department
for Vigo County

(All parks are indicated in green and
were still in existence after 1970)

 

n.d.
   

Collett Park

 

22

Storage and Concession Buildings -
Comfort Station (1-D)

Comfort Station (2-D)

Source: Building Program for Board of Park
  Commissioners; Wayne M. Weber, Architect;
  Terre Haute, Indiana

(Part of a set of 6 blueprints)

May 23, 1947

Deming Park

 

12

Plan of Specimen Bed Arrangement for
  Deming Park Iris Garden

Source: unknown

(includes specification sheet for planting piers)

July 1930

13

Bear Cage - Details

Source: Page Wrought Iron Fence

Highland Iron & Steel Company

July 15, 1930

14

Survey for Water System

Source: unknown

(Shows location of monkey cage,
bear pit and lion den)

Dec. 1930

15

Bear Den

Source: Frank A. Kattman, City Engineer

Feb. 1931

17

Walton Rearing Ponds

Source: City of Terre Haute Park Board

March 1935

19

Pavilion

Source: Dix Lumber Company

June 7, 1938

20

Peacock Cage

Source: Paul Haas

(2 copies)

Feb. 20, 1946

21

Milwaukee Railroad through Deming Park

Source: Terre Haute Office of City Engineer

March 17, 1947

22

Shelter House (1-B)

Toilet and Recreation Building (2-B)

Comfort Station (3-B)

Comfort Station (4-B)

Source: Building Program for Board of Park
  Commissioners; Wayne Weber, Architect;
  Terre Haute, Indiana

(Part of a set of 6)

May 23, 1947

24

Topographic Map

Source: Sophomore and Junior
Civil Engineering Majors,
Rose Polytechnic Institute
(signed by the students)

June 1956

26

Swimming Pool - Preliminary Drawing

Source: Weber and Curry, Architects;
Terre Haute, Indiana
(Set of 14)

Sept. 1, 1961

27

Swimming Pools and Bath Houses - Deming,
  Sheridan, and Voorhees Parks

Source: Weber and Curry, Architects;
Terre Haute, Indiana

1962

29

Deming Park

Source: unknown

(Line drawing of roads, lakes, etc.)

n.d.

30

Deming Park

Source: unknown

(may correspond with 29)

n.d.

31

Pagoda - Perspective drawing

Source: unknown

n.d.

32

Contour Map
Source: unknown

n.d.

33

Iris Garden - Map

Source: Frank A. Kattman,
City Civil Engineer

n.d.

Dresser Park

 

18

Paul Dresser Memorial Park,

West Terre Haute
Source: W. R. Paige, City Civil Engineer

1936

Fairbanks Park

 

1

Henry W. Fairbanks Park - Sketch

Source: George E. Kessler,
Landscape Architect
St. Louis

June 22, 1917

16

Contour Map

Source: unknown

1932?

36

Detailed Drawing for Improvement of Henry
  Fairbanks Memorial Park including Dresser
  Drive

Source: George E. Kessler,
Landscape Architect
St. Louis

(Shows cross sections and elevations
for sewers)

n.d.

34

Detailed Drawings for Extension of Oak Street

Sewer through Fairbanks Park

Source: George E. Kessler,
Landscape Architect
St. Louis;  W. R. Paige, Engineer

n.d.

35

Wabash Avenue to Wilson Street;
1st Street to Wabash River

Source: unknown

n.d.

Old Fairgrounds

 

3

Fairgrounds Tract Plat Map Prepared
for Park Board, City of Terre Haute

Source: W. R. Paige, Civil Engineer

(Shows race tracks, buildings, roads,
walks, trees, etc.)

Jan. 1921

4

Fairgrounds Tract Plat Map Prepared
for Park Board, City of Terre Haute

Source: W. R. Paige, Civil Engineer

(Shows race tracks, buildings, roads,
walks, trees, etc.)

Jan. 1921

5

Fairgrounds

Source: George E. Kessler,
Landscape Architect
St. Louis

(shows stadium)

Feb. 19, 1921

6

Fairgrounds

Source: George E. Kessler,
Landscape Architect
St. Louis

(Shows stadium, baseball diamonds,
picnic grounds, etc.)

Feb. 19, 1921

8

Fairgrounds - Revised plan

Source: George E. Kessler,
Landscape Architect
St. Louis

July 1921

9

Fairgrounds - Revised plan (with later markings)

Source: George E. Kessler,
Landscape Architect
St. Louis

July 1921

Rea Park

 

11

Rea Park Golf Course

Source: Office of the City Civil Engineer

July 1923

37

Contour Map
Source: unknown

n.d.

Spencer Ball Park

 

10

Spencer Ball Park

Source: George E. Kessler
Landscape Architect
St. Louis

(very ornate plan)

Dec. 1921

38

Spencer Ball Park - Scheme B

Source: unknown

n.d.

39

Spencer Fall Field Swimming Pool

Source: unknown

 

Sheridan Park

 

27

Swimming Pools and Bath Houses - Deming,
Sheridan and Voorhees Parks

Source: Weber and Curry, Architects;
Terre Haute, Indiana

(Set of 14)

1962

Steeg Park (renamed Gilbert Park)

 

2

Steeg Park Surveys and Plat Map made for
Board of City of Terre Haute

Source: W. R. Paige, Civil Engineer

(Shows the Gilbert residence, building,
trees, streets, walks, fountain, etc.)

Dec. 1920

7

Rest Station for Children's Playground

Source: W. R. Paige, Civil Engineer

(Includes specifications sheet)

April 1921

40

Steeg Park Reorganization Plan

Source: unknown

(Plan to provide for scented gardens
and an ornamental pool)

n.d.

Voorhees Park

 

27

Swimming Pools and Bath Houses -
  Deming, Sheridan and Voorhees Parks

Source: Weber and Curry, Architects;
Terre Haute, Indiana

(Set of 14)

1962

Blueprints and Maps in Chronological Order

1

Fairbanks Park

June 22, 1917

2

Steeg (Gilbert) Park

Dec. 1920

3

Old Fairgrounds

Jan. 1921

4

Old Fairgrounds

Jan. 1921

5

Old Fairgrounds

Feb. 19, 1921

6

Old Fairgrounds

Feb. 19, 1921

7

Steeg (Gilbert) Park

April 1921

8

Old Fairgrounds

July 1921

9

Old Fairgrounds

July 1921

10

Spencer Ball Park

Dec. 1921

11

William S. Rea Park

July 1923

12

Deming Park

July 1930

13

Deming Park

July 15, 1930

14

Deming Park

Dec. 1930

15

Deming Park

Feb. 1931

16

Fairbanks Park

1932?

17

Deming Park

March 1935

18

Dresser Park

1936

19

Deming Park

June 7, 1938

20

Deming Park

Feb. 20, 1946

21

Deming Park

March 17, 1947

22

Deming Park and Collett Park

May 23, 1947

23

City of Terre Haute

Dec. 31, 1951

24

Deming Park

June 1956

25

City of Terre Haute

Jan. 1957

26

Deming Park

Sept. 1, 1961

27

Deming Park, Sheridan Park and
Voorhees Park

1962

28

City of Terre Haute

n.d.

29

Deming Park

n.d.

30

Deming Park

n.d.

31

Deming Park

n.d.

32

Deming Park

n.d.

33

Deming Park

n.d.

34

Fairbanks Park

n.d.

35

Fairbanks Park

n.d.

36

Fairbanks Park

n.d.

37

William S. Rea Park

n.d.

38

Spencer Ball Park

n.d.

39

Spencer Ball Park

n.d.

40

Steeg (Gilbert) Park

n.d.