Inventory
 

Union Hospital Publications
Dates: 1925-1986
Accession Number: 20030704C
Donor: Unknown
Description: Nine folders in a document case

History

Union Hospital was founded in 1892 by Dr. Benjamin F. Swafford and Dr. Leon T. Weinstein in a two-story frame house at North 7th Street and 8th Avenue. Created originally to serve as a maternity facility, the 20-bed hospital was first known as the Terre Haute Sanitarium before it was renamed Union Hospital for Invalids in 1895. In 1897, the name was changed permanently to Union Hospital.

Union Hospital was expanded in 1902 with the addition of a North Wing. In 1909, the original sanitarium and the North Wing were razed and replaced by a new building. A South Wing was added in 1922 and in 1953, a second North Wing was erected on the site of the original frame house as part of the United Hospital Project in conjunction with St. Anthony's Hospital. This North Wing included 30 additional rooms, a maternity floor, a surgical facility, a larger radiology department and a new emergency room with an ambulance entrance.

In the mid-1960s, Union Hospital undertook a multi-phase construction project that was not completed until 1983. The facilities included new east and west wings, a self-contained power plant, and a mental health facility.

In 1900, Union Hospital established a School of Nursing in conjunction with Indiana State University. By the time the nursing school closed in 1965, more than 900 nurses had graduated from the program.


Content and Scope of Collection

This collection contains items from Union Hospital and its School of Nursing. Materials include histories, annual reports, handbooks, employee newsletters, and materials related to the United Hospital Project expansion program in the 1950s and
Phase I of its construction program in the 1960s and 1970s.

This collection was created from holdings in the Community Affairs File of the Special Collections Department.

Document Case 1

 

 

 

 

Folder 1

"The Union Hospital"

ca. 1925

 

 

 

 

"The Union Hospital of Terre Haute, Indiana: A Record of Service During the Past Twenty Years, 1910-1930"  (includes annual report for 1929)

1930

 

 

 

 

"The Union Hospital, 1910-1941"

1941

 

 

 

Folder 2

Annual Report

1974-1975

 

 

 

Folder 3

Annual Report

1975-1976

 

Annual Report

1976-1977

 

 

 

Folder 4

United Hospital Project (construction project)

1950; 1952

 

 

 

Folder 5

Union Hospital West (diagram of proposed
hospital wing)

ca. 1970

 

 

 

Folder 6

Employee newsletters:

"News of Union Hospital"



May 1954

 

 

 

 

"Union Monthly"

May 1984;
June 1984

 

 

 

 

"Hospital Happenings"

July 1984-
Aug. 1985

 

 

 

Folder 7

"Hospital Happenings"

Sept. 1985-
Sept. 1986

 

 

 

Folder 8

Patient Handbook

n.d.

 

 

 

Folder 9

Union Hospital School of Nursing:

 

 

 

 

 

      Yearbook

1951

 

 

 

 

      Handbook

1958-1959