Construction Heroes: The Vigo County Public Library Youth Services Department will be closed Monday, August 3 through mid-November. The lower level will undergo a significant renovation to allow for more Youth Services space. Materials can be requested on the VCPL website, or visit the Teen Space to request youth materials.
The Vigo County Public Library’s subscription to Freegal Music ends on January 20, 2015.
What will happen to my already downloaded music and videos from Freegal?
If you downloaded the music/video to a computer: Any songs and videos you downloaded from Freegal to your computer will continue to be yours, even after January 20, 2015. They will be available in the location on your computer where you choose to save the song or video when you downloaded it.
If you downloaded the music/video using the Freegal Music App: If you have songs or videos stored in the Freegal Music app on your smartphone or tablet, you must transfer the music from the app to your computer prior to January 20, 2015. After January 20, the Freegal app will not work for Vigo County Public Library cardholders. Once the songs or videos (found in the app under “More” then “My Music” or “My Videos”) are transferred to your computer, you will be able to continue to enjoy them.
Instructions for how to transfer the music can be found on the Freegal Music FAQ webpage, under the Mobile Apps heading.
How do I backup Freegal Music from my iOS (Apple) mobile device into iTunes?
- Plug your iOS device into your computer. Please select "Yes" if you see a pop-up asking if you trust this device.
- Open up iTunes on your computer and you should see your device appear to the right of the "More button" on the left side of your screen.
- On the left of your computer screen you will see the option bar. Select "Apps" and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click to highlight Freegal Music under "File Share". A folder named after your library card number will appear to the right of your screen.
- Click to highlight the folder shown, then click "Save To". A popup will appear to select where to save the file. (It's easiest to select desktop and Click "Save to".)
- On your desktop, or wherever you elected to save it, you should see this folder. Click to open the folder on your computer, select and drag the song files back into your Music Library within iTunes. This will add the song(s) to iTunes where you can sync it to any other device using iTunes.
*Additional Note: PC-users will not see "Save to" when saving the file to their desktop rather they will see "Select Folder".
How do I transfer songs via iTunes?
Apple, the manufacturer of the iPhone and the iPad, has created their devices without the ability to download music directly, unless going through the iTunes store or using an approved application. To get music on the iPhone, iTouch or iPad, we recommend the following procedure:
- Download Freegal files to your computer desktop by doing the following:
- Press “download now”
- Press “save”.
- Direct download to desktop.
- Next, import the file into iTunes. We believe the easiest way to do this is: Open iTunes then drag the file from the desktop to the open application. The next time you sync your device the Freegal file will be both on your “home base” computer and your mobile device.
How do I get music off my Android device onto my computer?
To retrieve music from your Android device, the easiest method is to plug your Android device into your PC or Mac.
On a PC, once you connect your device, driver software should install automatically if not already installed. For troubleshooting on a specific device please check the Android forums, for example http://www.xda-developers.com/) it should be detected automatically. If not, open up Computer to see your device. Choose to browse Internal Storage, then open the folder titled “Freegal Music”. Inside this folder, you will see another folder labeled with your patron card number. This folder contains all of your Freegal Music downloads (songs and videos) that you’ve gotten through the Freegal Music app. Simply drag this folder to your desktop, and once the transfer is complete you can then move the songs and videos wherever you’d like on your computer.
On a Mac, depending on the version of Android, you’ll need some additional software. For Android 2.3, you can plug the device in and select the option (on the Android device) to mount as a disk. From this point you can find the device through Finder, open the device, then open the folder titled “Freegal Music”. Inside this folder will be your patron barcode folder. You can then drag this folder to your desktop. Once it copies, you can drag it straight into iTunes and iTunes should be able to sort your music.
For Android 4.0 or newer, you can download the Android File Transfer software. This software, once installed, will open automatically when you plug your Android device into your Mac. Once it opens you will see the file system of your device. Open the Freegal Music folder, and drag your patron barcode folder to your desktop. From there you will be able to move your music around your Mac and into iTunes.
What will happen to my streaming music?
When you streamed a song or album using Freegal, you were able to listen without needing to download an actual music file. Since there was no permanent transfer of content using streaming, your streaming music and access to the Freegal app will end after January 20, 2015.
Where can I get further help?
If you have questions or need assistance transferring your downloaded Freegal music and videos prior to January 20, please contact us by either calling 812-232–1110, emailing our Reference Services at email@example.com, or chat online with Ask a Librarian.